[Ads-l] antedating (?) of conditional "would have" = 'had'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 1 15:37:15 UTC 2016

>Sigh<. Sometimes a hunch pays off.

An earlier printing of the passage:

1900 _Cleveland [O.] Gazette_(March 10) 2:

A colored soldier writing to the New York Age from Manila, Philippine
Islands, under the date of August. 11, 1899, says:

". . .  All this never would have occurred if the army of occupation had
treated them as people."

I don't have access to the _N.Y. Age_ column, but editor Gatewood
 (presumably a "would have" innovator himself) was quoting the passage from
the  _Wisconsin Weekly Advocate_ (May 17, 1900), p. 1.

Which likewise prints "if...had."

JL