[Ads-l] Antedating of "App"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 3 21:44:14 UTC 2016

Fred Shapiro wrote:

> > Joel Berson wrote:
> >
> > Will the 1957 citation, "Proc. Second Annual Computer App. Symp.", count?
> > With the period, it's an abbreviation.
>
> No, I don't think the OED would count this, because, as Joel points out, it's
> an abbreviation.

In the 1982 Computerworld job listings linked to upthread
(https://goo.gl/NvvSqr), we get "apps" a few times, but the
surrounding context implies that it was still treated as an
abbreviation:

"Current exp in direct online fin'l apps using CICS qualifies for CT
oppty in state-of-the-art."
"Diversified cons svcs firm seeks results oriented pro to lead apps devel team."
"Major mfg div of Fortune 100 co seeks Burroughs prog/analyst with mfg
apps & COBOL programming expertise."

I think this type of usage would only warrant bracketed treatment if
cited by the OED.

--bgz