[Ads-l] Word of the Year 2015: singular "they"

Andrea Morrow aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 9 21:24:20 UTC 2016

A few of Neal's rules don't match some of the usage I've observed among my
trans daughter's friends. For instance, assuming that someone who is
pregnant identifies as female can be problematic. My daughter has friends
who are nonbinary and who identify as male who have uteri and say they may
want children someday. Neither would like to be called by a female pronoun.

Similarly, just knowing  someone does not mean you can call them he or she.
Many nonbinary people prefer they, regardless of how they appear compared
to conventional gender norms. One of my daughter's friends is Ashley, a
very feminine-presenting nonbinary person. They use and prefer they, and
would correct you for using she.

Sent from a mobile device