[Ads-l] text stop (OT)

Guy Letourneau Owner guy1656 at CENTURYLINK.NET
Mon Jan 11 18:15:10 UTC 2016

My wife told me of a news story that in one EU country (Denmark?) they have decided that since so many people will be texting while driving anyways, it will now be a required task on the diving test.

The instructor will text a question requiring a topical information search - a US equivalent might be: 'What is the capitol of South Dakota?' - and the driver must successfully navigate a field of cones while searching for the answer and texting the instructor.

I find the notion of raising expected standards of competence to be a welcome change from the dumbing down we've witnessed for decades.

- GLL

Just as an aside, this was in the news some months ago.

Joel

=20

      From: James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20
 Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 8:26 AM
 Subject: [ADS-L] text stop
  =20
On I-684 in New York, just north of the Putnam County line, there is a "tex=
t stop".

It is an ordinary "rest stop" with, one assumes, attention paid to making u=
sre cell-phone service and maybe WiFi is available.

Signs along I-684 warn drivers to stop there if they want to text on their =
cell phones.

- Jim Landau

Netscape.=C2=A0 Just the Net You Need.