[Ads-l] Trivago or Chivago?

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Jan 13 14:46:16 UTC 2016

It's probably the speaker. There's a well-known (but I think geographically distributed) process turning /t/ into /ch/ before /r/. It happens in my speech for example, so I say /chruck/ for 'truck'.  Also happens with /d/, giving, for me /jrive/  for 'drive'.

Last week at LSA I heard a talk by Lauren Spradling on 'totes' shortenings that included the following examples: 'totes inch' (for 'interesting'), 'grosh' (for 'grocery').  Same thing. Has interesting consequences for theories of the interaction of morphology and phonology which she explores.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:24 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Trivago or Chivago?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>

Does anyone else hear the usual, frequent male spokesperson in Trivago comm=
ercials pronounce it "chivago", as in "chicken"?=C2=A0 (With the one or two=
 women I've heard occasionally in their commercials, I hear "trivago", as i=
n "trick".)

I don't know whether it's my ears, my TVs, or the Trivago male.

Joel