[Ads-l] Trivago or Chivago?

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 14 02:14:10 UTC 2016

You can actually do a quick perceptual test on whether /tr/ retroflexes of
palatalizes.  Retroflexion has a lower-pitched oral cavity resonance that
palatalization, and you can hear that in the affrication.  Works also with
the contrast between "shriek" and "chic."

I also have the grocer/groshri contrast, where "shri" is retroflexed /s/.
Also in luxury/luxurious, where the former is retroflexed and that latter
palatalized.

Herb