[Ads-l] Pre-1988 "dead pool"?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sat Jan 16 17:17:37 UTC 2016

Sounds somewhat like that older pool, the tontine.  An early form of
life-insurance, from one angle, rather than death-insurance.

Robin Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From: Neal Whitman
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:09 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Pre-1988 "dead pool"?

---------------------- Information from the mail
header -----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET>

Wikipedia notes "death pool" as a variant. A Google Books search for
"death pool" brings up this 1916 attestation:

      High Speed - Page 287
      <https://books.google.com/books?id=LhFCAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA287&dq=%22death+pool%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj83L6K6K7KAhUMNz4KHUL1CGYQ6AEIRzAG>

<https://books.google.com/books?id=LhFCAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA287&dq=%22death+pool%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj83L6K6K7KAhUMNz4KHUL1CGYQ6wEISDAG>https://books.google.com/books?id=LhFCAQAAMAAJ
Clinton Holland Stagg
<https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=638&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1/1/1900,cd_max:12/31/1920&tbm=bks&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Clinton+Holland+Stagg%22&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj83L6K6K7KAhUMNz4KHUL1CGYQ9AgISTAG>
- 1916 - ‎Read
<https://books.google.com/books?id=LhFCAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA287&dq=%22death+pool%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj83L6K6K7KAhUMNz4KHUL1CGYQuwUISjAG>
- ‎More editions
<https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=638&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1/1/1900,cd_max:12/31/1920&tbm=bks&q=editions:l0pAjpVkLLQC&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj83L6K6K7KAhUMNz4KHUL1CGYQmBYISzAG>/
Death Pool/, and with them had gone the fool spectators who had been in
the way; the men who would kill the game as they had killed the drivers
who had swerved to save them. Mighty good thing they didn't get a share
of the /Death Pool/ ...

--
Dr. Neal Whitman
Lecturer, ESL Composition