[Ads-l] Three rare(?) words

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 19 12:48:55 UTC 2016

"Cockhound" and "cocksman" both appear in HDAS I.

I had only one cite for "ass-master," so it didn't make the cut.  I believe
it was from the '70s.

"Cocksman" in the 1881 stage play is the name (or pseudonym) of a theater
critic.

My Spidey sense advises that neither the publisher nor the printers thought
it had any particular meaning - especially since it was meant to be spoken
on stage in front of a "mixed" audience.

We're talkin' Victorian America, my man!

JL