[Ads-l] geek HDAS def 3

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 23 15:11:28 UTC 2016

HDAS I affords two exx. of this synonym for "gook," the earliest from 1963

Here's another from 1963, referring to World War II:

1963 Bernard Gordon _Cry of Battle_ (film):  "Just a pack of geeks." "There
are no 'geeks' here. Just Filipinos. They want to be treated as equals
because that's what they are."

The film is based on a novel, _A Time of Fortune_, by Benjamin Appel
(Morrow, 1963). No GB snippets confirm that  "geek" is therein, but one
would expect so.

Note that both "geek" and "gook" were established slang terms for odd or
crazy people before they became racial epithets.

JL