[Ads-l] Quote: If you're going through hell, keep going. Request help to access Christian Science publication

Sun Jan 24 08:46:54 UTC 2016

The QI website has an entry for a very popular saying attributed to
Winston Churchill:

[Begin excerpt]
If you're going through hell, keep going.
[End excerpt]

There is no substantive evidence that Churchill employed this saying.

Recently, I found two interesting matches (unverified) in 1943 and
1969 in the "Christian Science Sentinel". This is the earliest known
evidence, I think.

A full run of the "Christian Science Sentinel" has been scanned and a
database has been constructed that is accessible to subscribers. Here
is a link to a display of the issues:

http://sentinel.christianscience.com/issues

Perhaps some individual or institution with database access will be
willing to help verify the citations below. The goal is to verify the
accuracy of the metadata and to gather some additional surrounding
text to learn more about the context. Of course, if you are able to
access the issues on paper or microfilm, instead of online, that would
be great too.