[Ads-l] Quote: A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic (Rewritten QI entry)

Wed Jan 27 23:12:29 UTC 2016

Fred, Charlie, Ralph Keyes, Jonathon Green and others have written
references that mention a well-known quotation that has been
attributed to Joseph Stalin. Back in May 2010 I posted an entry on the
topic. Now based on feedback and further research I have updated and
overhauled the post.

Thanks to Stephen Goranson, Barry Popik, James Marx, Wikiquote, Alex
Stroup, Mary, and Tucker Lieberman.If I inadvertently left your name
out of the acknowledgement section please let me know.

A Single Death is a Tragedy; a Million Deaths is a Statistic
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/21/death-statistic/

The citation for Kurt Tucholsky is dated 1932 because the 1932 German
text and page scans are fully accessible and thus verifiable online. I
do not know the earliest date for his pertinent quotation.

Feedback welcome,
Garson