[Ads-l] more from chatting w/ costume historians re: "teddy" the undergarment

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 27 23:26:03 UTC 2016

> And one responded, "Definitely infantization [sic: JL] of women in the
'teens [sic: JL] --look at the artwork--so much baby [sic: JL] sexualization
 starting, while
losing the hourglass figure and childbearing hips...."

Women were also being masculinized in the late teens, as in Howard Chandler
Christy's recruiting posters of  women in USMC and USN uniform ("Gee! I
Wish I Were a Man!"), bobbed hair, the far-out "flapper"look (ideally with
small breasts), the rising tide of female smoking, the appearance of women
as "pals" in pulp fiction, especially Westerns,  the employment of women in
defense plants, the admission of some 13,000 women into active duty in the
Navy (other than nurses, IIRC), etc.  (OK, I can't think offhand of any
particular "etc.")

Most of these trends became more prominent in the '20s, but they were
already present in the previous decade.

JL