[Ads-l] ogle

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Mon Jul 4 02:35:59 UTC 2016

World Book D.                  og @l  (with a schwa)         or o (with a
macron)

MW Col                              o g at l   (with a macron)      or a  (with
dieresis)

Am Her                                o g at l  (with a macron)       or o
(with a circumflex)

WNW col                            o g at l  (with a macron)        or a (with
a dieresis)

The "long" o seems to be the first pronunciation in many dictionaries.  The
pronunciation with AH or AW seems to be the alternative.

I think I've always chosen "short" o as in hot.  Kenyon and Knott give only
the o as in hot.