[Ads-l] rookie-doo

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Sat Jul 9 04:11:30 UTC 2016

Thanks, Garson! I also searched NewsBank and got 4 more citations from
1992 to 2003, all from Texas or Oklahoma, 2 of them from Dallas:

    Human interest stories not always interesting (or human)

Tahlequah Daily Press (OK) - May 5, 2011

Callers have bought shirts that ripped at the seams (most likely when
they tried to stuff themselves into a size too small), and been
*rookie-doo*’ed by convenience stores peddling gasoline with water in it.

    LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Dallas Morning News, The (TX) - January 25, 2008

This bears all the marks of Texas' common practice to *rooky-do* folks
out of their property.

    Health, cash problems confront midget sisters - Lack of wheelchair
    hampers mobility

Dallas Morning News, The (TX) (Published as The Dallas Morning News) -
June 28, 1992

There were eight children in the Buckaloo family, four of whom were
chondroplastic dwarfs, including Dessie, 69, and Shirley, 45, and two
brothers. Their mother died when Shirley was 2, and Dessie raised her
younger sister.

"I was raised by little people,' Shirley said. "I watched them
'*rooky-do*' to get by.'

    Danny Andrews column: Some wild and crazy cab rides

Plainview Daily Herald (TX) - June 1, 2003

I told the man about the pre-arranged price. He insisted I speak with
the dispatcher who was in on the *rooky-do*. Feeling unusually
assertive, I firmly told the man on the other end of the two-way radio
which end was up and that we weren't paying a dime more.

Dr. Neal Whitman
Lecturer, ESL Composition
School of Teaching and Learning
College of Education and Human Ecology