[Ads-l] Another oldie turns up in print, finally

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jul 18 01:57:00 UTC 2016

OT:  I'm disturbed by the suggestion that little children were asking for sex during WWII.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Wilson Gray
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2016 9:33 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Another oldie turns up in print, finally

Back in early-'50's St. Louis, a common exclamation was:

_That chilled my shit_

"that gave me butterflies" "that made my blood run cold" "that startled the shit out of me" "that took my breath away," ''that disturbed my equilibrium," "that messed with my mind,"etc.

The expression now appears in print.

High Adventure in the Great Outdoors - Page 2
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1880985020
Henry Rollins - 1990 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions I think it would have been real cool if (a) the guy smiled and offered my dad some chips (that would have _chilled his shit_ pretty good) or if (b) the guy slapped my dad upside his head.

Shooter's Point: A Martha Chainey Mystery - Page 157
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1575666820
Gary Phillips - 2001 - ‎Preview - ‎More editions "Hell, he was a goodwill ambassador for them." "See, see," Muhammad said over his food, "that's my goddamn point. I ain't." He swallowed. 'This Black Jihad thing could just be a smokescreen to cover up the real forces out to _chill my shit_.

Memoirs of a Bitch - Page 113-114
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0979265649
Cecelia Robinson - 2009 - ‎Full view
He would eat quick as hell and kiss me goodbye, saying that he had to get to the club so that he could see Brandy. That alone _chilled my shit_.

The Fruits Of His Labor - Page 282
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1483642445
John B. Davis - 2013 - ‎Preview - ‎More editions We were cozy and lovey-dovey. I took her hand and scratched her palm with my fingers. (That was the way we asked for sex without asking—it was cool!
[It was lame. Little children were doing that, back during WWII.]). But Ruby was cooler. She said something that _chilled my shit_! She said, “Don't be like a a dog and scratch for it; be like a man and ask for it!"

HoloBall: A Pittsburgh Murder Mystery - Page 78
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1483452433
Tom Rinkes - 2016 - Preview
In the space of twenty seconds he printed me a pic that just plain _chilled my shit_. “ There he is. I guarantee he looks just that way, if he's still alive.”
-Wilson
-----
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-Mark Twain