[Ads-l] RES: Reflexive pronoun 'epidemic' in BrE

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 31 19:28:34 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> can be either objective or reflexive, depending on various factors:  She
> pulled the blanket around her/herself.

"Depending on various factors" is not the half of it, as might be said in
pswaydo-Britspeak.

"She pulled the blanket around herself" sounds to me almost as horrific as
"she pulled the blanket around she and I."

Different strokes...

--
-Wilson
-----