[Ads-l] Antedating of "Ham" (Radio)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 31 20:16:03 UTC 2016

How do you distinguish ham=bad telegraphist, which goes back to 19th C.
from ham=amateur wireless radio operator?

On Jul 31, 2016 2:09 PM, "ADSGarson O'Toole" <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>
wrote:

The Wikipedia article "Etymology of ham radio" also mentioned a
citation in April 1909 for "ham" that seemed to match the desired
sense of: "An amateur telegraphist; now esp. an amateur radio
operator."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_ham_radio

Here are the details (please double-check for errors):

Date: April 1909
Periodical: Electrician and Mechanic
Volume 19, Number 10
Article: Wireless Interference
Author: Robert A. Morton
Start Page 422, Quote Page 424, Column 1 and 2
Database: HathiTrust Full View

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.hxhis4
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.hxhis4?urlappend=%3Bseq=636

[Begin excerpt]
"How do you get me to-day? I am using my new transformer and my helix
is hitched up different.
. . .
Say, do  you know the fellow who is putting up a new station out your
way? I think he is a ham. Will call you up in ten minutes. Say, old
man, must go to supper now, but will be on the rest of the night. O K,
O K, will see you later."
[End excerpt]

The passage was repeated in a later article by Morton.