[Ads-l] Quote Request: A letter is in fact the only device for combining solitude and good company. (Probably Jacques Barzun, 1953)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 3 13:37:28 UTC 2016

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 11:16 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I was sent a quotation tracing request that I think has an
> entertaining solution. This message contains a request to access a
> book and create some scans. Here is the quotation and ascription under
> investigation.
>
> Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.
> Popularly attributed to Lord Byron

not to be confused with a more recent variant,
"Hey, don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love."
--Attributed to Alvy Singer (Woody Allen), _Annie Hall_

LH