[Ads-l] Jobless = anyone not employed, including retirees

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 4 12:46:01 UTC 2016

This is indeed an unfortunate usage (though I can't think of a simple
synonym) because it seems to fall in line with the claim of some that
the "real" unemployment rate is "probably closer to twenty or
twenty-five per cent."

And yes, a very large number of Americans aged 1 day to 110 years are,
literally, "without jobs."

With so many more women working outside the home (and if you're a
homemaker, male or female, the more inclusive definition considers you
"unemployed"), it could even be that this so-called "true unemployment
rate" is actually lower than it would have been fifty years ago, when
America was "great."

JL