[Ads-l] Heard: _cush_ "vulva"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Jun 7 20:35:32 UTC 2016

I've been living in Toronto for six years and have yet to hear it. But then, I haven't been in many social situations where one might expect to hear such an insult.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 4:14 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Heard: _cush_ "vulva"

While masculine-insult "c**t" exists in the US, it is quite rare. In fact, the HDAS exx. indicate that its greatest popularity was in the Marine Corps during WW2 under the influence of Australian and New Zealand English.

If Americans in Britain picked it up as well, there is, by contrast, little record of it.

What, if anything, is the significance of this little-mentioned difference between British and American English?

What's the situation in Canada?

JL