[Ads-l] not found much of anywhere

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 8 00:14:23 UTC 2016

> On Jun 7, 2016, at 7:58 PM, David Barnhart <dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM> wrote:
>
> unendorse, v. {w}  Also written un-endorse.  1. to fail to have the
> endorsement of other politicians; without endorsement.
>

> Mr. Carey certainly would have thought of something so that the Democratic
> Party's probable Presidential nominee did not come to the Empire State
> unendorsed by it first Democratic Governor in 16 years.  Linda Greenhouse,
> "An Answer to the Question of What Albany Legislators Do With Their Time,"
> The New York Times (Nexis), June 20, 1976, p 30
>

> "Coal Bill Likely to be Unendorsed; Ways and Means Committee May Send
> Measure to House Without Recommendation," The New York Times (ProQuest),
> Aug. 6, 1935, p 8

Right--this is an adjective, "un" ('not') + "endorsed", not from the verb "to unendorsed" the way

> 2. to withdraw a previously issued statement of political support.  Standard
> (used in contexts dealing especially with U.S. politics; frequency?)

The example I heard on tonight's news was in reference to Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL):

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/06/07/gop-senator-mark-kirk-unendorses-trump.html

Another one from campaigns past (though not as past as 2000's):

http://www.care2.com/causes/seiu-no-we-are-not-un-endorsing-obama.html

SEIU: No, We Are Not “Un-Endorsing” Obama

LH