[Ads-l] Drop the mike

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 11 20:05:25 UTC 2016

Or, pedantically and usually, "mic."

I've been hearing this a lot on TV lately (like within the past month).
UD has one ex., from 20

"A phrase describing the action performed after getting the better of someone.

"Calling someone out so hard that you just walk away indisputably
victorious (See 8 Mile)

"'After serving someone, I just drop the mic, and walk away'"

Here's one in imperative form that may not really fit. It seems to
indicate being stunned:

"My 14-year-old, apolitical daughter came home from school about a
month ago and announced at the dinner table to me, my husband, and her
15-year-old brother: '[Insert name of female classmate] said that
Hillary Clinton is a liar.' Drop the mic. We all looked at each
other."

Cf. "Obama just dropped the mic on the White House Correspondents' Dinner."

Not 100% sure what this means.

JL