[Ads-l] /hud/

Paul A Johnston, Jr paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU
Tue Jun 14 18:46:11 UTC 2016

When I lived in the Chicago suburbs as a boy (1956-64), /hud/ was the name for any sort of juvenile delinquent (or more likely, wannabe j. d.--the town was too "Leave It To Beaver"-ish to have many real hoods.  But it was always /hud/,never /hUd/, which is what you wore on top of a parka in the winter.  I've never met anyone else who used this pronunciation.

Paul