[Ads-l] "goes I"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Jun 16 14:14:47 UTC 2016

“Very highly educated CNN interviewee, recalling that he and his family had recently been at the spot of the alligator attack in Orlando: "It all kind of rang home: 'But for the grace of God goes I.'

Not only is it ungrammatical - it don't even make no sense!

JL”

Truncation of “(There) [sic] but for the grace of God goes I”.

So grammatical, if you allow for truncation and inversion.

4430 ghits for the “goes I” version;  1220 ghits for “goes me”.

Though why, “There I go” should be grammatical, as well as “There goes I” ...

As Henry II said, ‘Who is it that shall rid me of this troublesome pronoun case ending?’

Robin Hamilton