[Ads-l] Antedating of golf term "mulligan" to 1919--in cricket!!

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Jun 20 12:56:41 UTC 2016

Yes, very nice find, Sam.

I wonder whether the context helps determine whether "mulligan" here is from the US writer's perspective (of golf or baseball) and then the author switches back to British usage for cricket, "as they call it."?

I ask partly because mulligan stew (and rail car) and mulligan in golf are apparently of American origin. Mulligan can also refer to a party.* (The earlier Mulligan Guard musical theater shows may or may not be relevant.)

If there is a link from the stew to the ball game, might it be that the stew has no fixed menu and the ball game as played allowing mulligans is informal in terms of score-keeping?

* For example. [HNAm} Salt lake Telegram 7-26-1915 p.12 col. 6:

Hail! Hail!  Hail! The Gang was Entirely There at the "Mulligan"....

...A "Mulligan" is a great affair. It's a sort of cross between a Sunday school meeting in Japan and an English athletic meet in Berlin in 1917.....

<http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/>

Stephen Goranson