[Ads-l] A 1921 transitional (?) Mulligan--stew to golf?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Wed Jun 22 13:36:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 12:27:34 Zone+0000 Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU> wrote:

<quote>
"....Golf architecture designed to deceive the player defeats its own
ends. At best it fools only the players new to the course.

Another lot of greens seeded to Google's Gorgeous Grass Goulash. Better
try Mulligan's Marvelous Mixture....."

from "Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer" in The Bulletin of the United
States Golf Association, Oct.16, 1922, v. 2 n. 10, p. 300.
<end quote>

I imagine the search engine people would be quite surprised to find "Google" in use in 1922.

"Googol" meaning 1 followed by 100 zeroes dates to around 1940 when Kasner and Newman used it in their book "Mathematics and the Imagination" (copyright 1940, page 23 of the 2001 Dover reprint https://books.google.com/books?id=Vm9U6EIJSDgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=mathematics+and+the+imagination&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJooOQ3rvNAhUHFz4KHZqtASgQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=googol&f=false)

According to one of the search engine's founders "Google means a very large number,' Page said. "It is the number '1' followed by 100 zeroes.  And we were trying to come up with a name.  We were confused about how too spell this, and so we actually spelled it incorrectly."
https://books.google.com/books?id=zyTCAlFPjgYC&pg=PT198&dq=google&hl=en&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj7rvCB37vNAhWJFj4KHaBzAiMQ6AEIIzAC#v=onepage&q=name&f=false

- James A. Landau