[Ads-l] A 1921 transitional (?) Mulligan--stew to golf?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 22 15:59:44 UTC 2016

As this was 1922, no doubt the Google being alluded to here was Barney
Google. That was the height of Google-mania.

And just to bring things full circle, "googol" (which inspired the name of
the search engine) was suggested by Edward Kasner's nephew, who was a fan
of Barney Google. I discuss this in the Lexicon Valley podcast on
"heebie-jeebies":

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/lexicon_valley/2015/07/lexicon_valley_mystery_word_or_phrase_with_lexicographer_ben_zimmer.html