[Ads-l] QOTY? multiple positions (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Jun 29 20:12:58 UTC 2016

Below is a precursor that appeared in May 1975 a couple years before
the 1977 book with the Mark Shields attribution. Shields may have
spoken the phrase during Carter's campaign in 1976 (or earlier).

The domain of this example was ballet, and the referent was physical
positions of the human body and not political positions.

This instance used "more varied postures" instead of "more positions".
Also, it used "Kamasutra" instead of "Kama Sutra".

The key quotation is supposed to be in the book under review titled
"Dance Is a Contact Sport" which according to WorldCat was first
published in 1974.

Date: May 9, 1975
Newspaper: Elk Grove Herald
Newspaper Location: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Section: 2
Article: Book on ballet shows performers as people
Byline: Lynn Asinof
(Book review of "Dance Is a Contact Sport" by Joseph H. Mazo)
Quote Page 2, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
"REMEMBER, ballet is impossible," Mazo writes. "It has more varied
postures than the Kamasutra. It repeals the laws of gravity and
inertia. It can't be done. If God had wanted us to stand with our toes
pointing in opposite directions, he would have bought a load of ball
bearings and installed them instead of using hip joints."
[End excerpt]

Garson