[Ads-l] [VAR-L] She text me

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 1 19:09:40 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > From: Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [VAR-L] She text me
> > Date: February 29, 2016 at 9:10:18 AM PST
> > To: Dave Sayers <dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET>
> >
> >> On Feb 29, 2016, at 8:27 AM, Dave Sayers wrote:
> >>
> >> I've often heard people say what sounds like "she text me" to mean that
> >> she sent me a text message ...but I've never come across any research
> >> on this development. Has anyone else?
> >
> > just a posting on my blog:
> >
> > http://arnoldzwicky.org/2008/12/25/whats-the-past-tense-of-the-verb-text/

(Repeating myself from last time this came up, in 2013...)

I also wrote about this in '09:

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/mailbag-friday-texted/

At the time, I didn't think it was likely that /tEkst/ would win out
as the past-tense form, but since then I've heard it used an awful
lot.

And see John Wells, also from '09 (his predictive powers were better than mine):

http://phonetic-blog.blogspot.com/2009/10/texting.html

--bgz