[Ads-l] on national grammar day

Baron, Dennis E debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Sun Mar 6 18:00:19 UTC 2016

Larry,

Re: Bp Lowth: Your comment prompted me to look more closely at the workI. Lowth does use that double negative comment in the 1763 edition, p. 139. It does not appear in the first ed., 1762. I too have seen those many quotes. Perhaps there are later printings of the 1762 that he silently expanded. I know he added many of his rules and strictures in later editions. He does not, however, condemn the “I don’t got none” sort of double negative that is the bugbear of critics today — or more properly, I ain’t got one? To echo my comment on let’s eat grandpa, no one in their right mind hears “I don’t got no money” and assume the speaker is flush.

I have clarified my comment on Lowth, too: what I meant to say was that he is a quintessential prescriptivist, correcting Shakespeare and KJV, but when it comes to punctuation, he sort of throws up his hands.

DB

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics
Department of English