[Ads-l] Antedating Naked as a Jaybird

Tue Mar 8 21:48:09 UTC 2016

I think "unfledged" implies rudimentary feathers or non-existent
feathers based on the definition of "fledged" in Merriam-Webster.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fledge

[Begin excerpt from Merriam-Webster]
Fledged fledg - ing
of a young bird
    intransitive verb
    :  to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent
activity; also :  to leave the nest after acquiring such feathers
    transitive verb
    1:  to rear until ready for flight or independent activity
    2:  to cover with or as if with feathers or down
    3:  to furnish (as an arrow) with feathers
[End excerpt]

The subject of the figurative phrase about nakedness may have shifted
from a young human to a young bird or vice versa. In 1827 the phrase
"naked,--as a baby newly born" was included in a poem

Year: 1827
Title: The Quality Papers Edited by D. Wyseman
(Papers of Hilary Quality)
Section: Peter Prawn: An Heroic Poem
Start Page 1, Quote Page 34
Publisher: William Marsh, Oxford Street, London

[Begin excerpt]
In momentary fear of being prick'd
In some more tender part;--cold--faint--forlorn--
And naked,--as a baby newly born!--
"How came he so?--O ye fubaceous pow'rs!
Could he be still that soul whom men call'd PETER PRAWN?
[End excerpt]

When the phrase references a bird that is unfledged (featherless,
dependent, weak) the intensity of the simile is enhanced, I think.

Garson