[Ads-l] Phrase: hipped on the subject

Wed Mar 9 19:43:54 UTC 2016

JL's Random House Dictionary of American Slang has valuable
information about "hip" and "hipped". This post is narrowly focused on
the phrase "hipped on the subject".

JL has an entry for an adjectival sense of "hipped":

[Begin excerpt]
hipped 3 adj. 1. infatuated (with); enthusiastic, excited, or fanatic
(about).--usu. constr. with on.

1895 Wood Yale Yarns 262: It's because you are so hipped on a girl you
think you see one behind every bush! 1910 Everybody's Mag. (May) 592:
He...got a drag with our Old Man who was always hipped on helping
along "ambition."
[End excerpt]

JL also listed another sense for "hipped"

[Begin excerpt]
2. a. aware (of); informed (about).--constr. with on.

1920 F.S. Fitzgerald Paradise 238: Oh, just one person in fifty has
any glimmer of what sex is. I'm hipped on Freud and all that, but it's
rotten that every bit of real love in the world is ninety-nine per
cent passion and one little soupcon of jealousy.
[End excerpt]

The phrase "hipped on the subject" seems to mean "obsessed with the
subject" or "very interested in the subject". Some early citations
have a connotation of hypochondria. Also, some later citations suggest
a transition of the sense to "very knowledgeable about the subject".
Please note that I am not a linguist.

Year: 1856
Title: The Queen V. Palmer: Verbatim Report of the Trial of William
Palmer at the Central Criminal Court, Old Bailey, London, May 14, and
Following Days, 1856, Before Lord Campbell, Mr. Justice Cresswell, and
Mr. Baron Alderson
Authors         William Palmer, Angelo Bennett
Publisher: J. Allen, London
Section: Second Day, May 15, 1856
Quote Page 71
Database: Google Books Full View

[Begin excerpt]
No; I think he had a little more sense than that; he would have his
throat cauterised by any one he might be with, I mean any medical man;
he was hipped on the subject of his throat.--I understand you to say
his throat was not quite well; his tonsils were not quite well the
last time you saw him?
[End excerpt]