[Ads-l] Phrase: hipped on the subject

Z Rice zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 9 21:02:54 UTC 2016

Mr. Garson, I'm assuming that this was written as a counter to my initial
posting on the "Cry Wolof" myth, and by extension, the Wolof/African
etymology of the AAV term(s) "hip"?

Are you implying that "hipped" in the senses that you provided (meaning,
enthusiastic, excited, or fanatic (about)) is supposed to somehow be the
origin of the AAV "hip" meaning "to tell/to inform/well-informed"?

I'm hoping that the answer is no. A homophone or homograph does not equal
"same word", something that should be obvious to most on this mailing list.
Using homophones/homographs or "similar words" to convince of an "english
origin" is diversionary.

Still, I have numerous examples on hand of linguists actively attempting to
link African-derived vocabulary to english words, simply because they're
homographs or homophones.

I'd like to address the "Cry Wolof" myth since there was so much enthusiasm
about it here initially. Your signature states that you're affiliated with
the same university as Mr. Laurence Horn who coined the term "Cry Wolof". I
hope that he will kindly respond to my posts.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:43 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com