[Ads-l] Query about "hobo"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 15 14:40:57 UTC 2016

19th Century U.S. Newspapers:

1888 _Morning Oregonian_ (Portland) (Sept. 14) 8:

ORIGIN OF THE TERM "HOBO"

A Password Formerly Used by the Tramp --  Its Generalization

'"What is new to-day?"

This question was asked Police Captain Cardwell yesterday by a reporter.

"A couple of 'hobos' have just been brought in. I see by your puzzled look
you do not know what a 'hobo' is. I will tell you what we mean by the term.
It is a word used to classify all tramps and vags. The word first
originated with the Independent Order of tramps, and was used by them as a
sort of password. One tramp walking along the street seeing another, whom
by his general appearance he thinks belongs to the order, says 'hobo.'  If
the party thus addressed recognizes the word he stops and an acquaintance
is struck up.  Again, this tramp walking alongside a lot of freight cars
stops at one in which he thinks there is a brother and repeats the magic
word. It is a sesame and if this surmise is correct, the car door is drawn
back and the man outside is received within.

"From his specific use of the word has come the general term 'hobo,' which
is applied to the vag and beggar as well as the tramp."

Earlier exx. may exist, but there are far too many false positives for me
to deal with.

Stripped of its questionable, possibly romanticized details, Cardwell's
belief was that "hobo" arose among hoboes, its etymology unknown, and was
entirely unfamiliar to other people.

Neither this database nor American Historical Newspapers seems to include a
real example of "hawbaw."

JL