[Ads-l] Bop as a girls name

delphine vandevoorde vandevoordedelphine at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Mar 16 12:32:44 UTC 2016

 From: delphine vandevoorde <vandevoordedelphine at yahoo.co.uk>
 To: "ads-l at listserv.uga.edu" <ads-l at listserv.uga.edu>
 Sent: Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 13:26
 Subject: Bop as a girls name

Dear American Dialect Society,
I would like to ask some insider American advice. I come from Belgium and I am pregnant of a daughter. We came up with the name Bop or Bopp, which is not very know, but has a German origin. We really like the name, but in the urban dictionary I found that in the US Westcoast dialect 'Bop' for a girl means slut and even worse.
For me it is very hard to estimate if the word is known in the US and frequently used and how reliable the urban dictionary really is...We would like to avoid her being laughed at when visiting the US, but if the word is barely known meaby we are over reacting.
Please tell me your opinion on this matter.
Thank you in adcance,Best regards,
Delphine Vandevoorde