[Ads-l] Bop as a girls name

Christopher Philippo toff at MAC.COM
Wed Mar 16 17:02:41 UTC 2016

I’ve seen Bopp as a surname occasionally, but have never heard of Bop as a first name.

The word bop is probably best known as a synonym for hit or punch, I would think.  It shows up in that sense in the song for children Little Bunny Foo Foo and in the names of a number of toys that involve hitting something:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=bop

The punk rock group The Ramones song Blitzkrieg Bop is still pretty well known, I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldjLRuU1OY8  I am not sure if it means hit there, or bop as a type of music or dance, or all of those.

I live in New York so that might explain my not knowing the meaning mentioned, but you might want to look up the Cyndi Lauper song She Bop.  I am not sure how well known that meaning is.