[Ads-l] sexist "crazy"

Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Mar 23 15:20:39 UTC 2016

I can imagine a situation in which /crazy/ in /crazy ex-girlfriend/ is
not appositive. A person with at least two ex-girlfriends may
distinguish them from each other by characterizing one of them as
/crazy/ and the other one(s) as not. I think that in such a situation
/crazy/ in /crazy ex-girlfriend/ is not appositive. That does not answer
the question of whether it is sexist to characterize the ex-girlfriend
as crazy.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/