[Ads-l] RES: sexist "crazy"

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Wed Mar 23 16:23:03 UTC 2016

When I discovered a couple years ago that there were folks - mostly of the
female persuasion - who were going miles out of their way to be offended by
"moist," I pretty much gave up trying to find rhyme or reason in what folks
are offended by and entered a "yeah, yeah, whatever" phase. So, if now
someone wants to be offended by "crazy"... Yawn.
DAD

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de
Arnold M. Zwicky
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 23 de março de 2016 12:45

Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: sexist "crazy"
---

------
------
>=20
> I can imagine a situation in which /crazy/ in /crazy ex-girlfriend/
>is=20  not appositive.

I did not claim that the expression was always appositive; clearly it is no=
t. Nor did I claim the a use of it was always sexist; that would be a matte=
r of judging the way it's used, in what contexts, by which speakers or writ=
ers.=20

The fact remains that many people, most of whom could not be characterized =
in any way as raving loony feminazis, see a distinction between *some* uses=
, by *some* people, in *some* contexts.

Arnold

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.