[Ads-l] Garbling (Re: on national grammar day)

David Champion dgc.ads at BIKESHED.US
Thu Mar 24 20:11:41 UTC 2016

* On 24 Mar 2016, David Champion wrote:
> I'll de-lurk for this - finally a topic I'm not an abject amateur in!
>
> This isn't a problem with e-mail apps, it's a problem with LISTSERV,
> which is frankly a rather antiquated piece of list management software
> that frequently does not follow e-mail norms or standards.
>
> Most of the garbling I see here is an equal symbol followed by two
> (hexademical) digits, which is a form of encoding called "quoted
> printable" or QP. It protects non-ASCII content such as accented
> characters, smart quotes, and emoji during ASCII transport.  It's great,
> and almost all e-mail software supports it.
>
> However, there's a rule for indicating that a message is QP-encoded.  If
> the message has a header:

> then it will be properly decoded.  If it doesn't, then it _shouldn't_ be
> decoded.  If you see these "garbled" messages, it's because your client
> is aggressive in assuming QP encoding even when it's not explicit.

I misspoke - rather, if you see messages correctly that others see as
garbled, then it's because your e-mail software aggressively assumes QP
encoding.

You can see this yourself, by the way, if you have the ability to edit a
garbled message in its raw form and then view the result.  Just add the
the saved message, before any blank lines.  When you view the result, it
will decode correctly.

David Champion • dgc at bikeshed.us