[Ads-l] more back-formed verbs being skated out on the ice

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 26 03:18:48 UTC 2016

> On Mar 25, 2016, at 10:56 PM, martha clayton <info at MARTHACLAYTONLINGUIST.COM> wrote:
>
> Neat. Were there any examples that weren't negative + past tense?

I wanted the "kept" to make sure it was a verb (although I suppose "score-keep" will work too), and I just checked with "never" because that's what the example in the wild had.  But here's one in the positive, apparently interchangeable with the non-incorporated version:

"I've score-kept for years," says Biff Williams, mother of Langley catcher Nate Williams, as she holds up her scorebook. "My husband always coached, and I always kept score."
--from a 2001 WaPo story,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2001/06/02/twilight-time/fa922809-bf01-4e83-a32b-04a3962bfef8/

Lots of hits for "how to score(-)keep" in various sports/games...

LH