[Ads-l] Quote: They're not writers; they're typists. (Truman Capote, Sprint 1957)

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Mar 28 16:20:48 UTC 2016

>From a time of older technology, perhaps the closest parallel would be "writer" vs. "scribbler."

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 11:52 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Quote: They're not writers; they're typists. (Truman Capote, Sprint 1957)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Quote: They're not writers; they're typists. (Truman Capote,
              Sprint 1957)

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 11:39 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>=20
> LH:  << Wonder what the slur is for an academic.  >>
> WB:  Anybody ever call you an egghead?

Could be (I still somehow associate "egghead" as invoked by those =
scorning Adlai Stevenson because they liked Ike, and figured at the time =
that it must have something to do with Adlai's receded hairline; cf. =
http://www.accuracyproject.org/cbe-Stevenson,Adlai.html), but is an =
academic really an egghead with finesse, or an egghead someone who =
performs intellectual tasks with brute force rather than style?  Not =
sure about that.

LH