[Ads-l] Battle of the Bulge Quote

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 1 14:23:43 UTC 2016

Reconstructed from two GB snippets. The reference appears to be to an issue
of _Stars and Stripes_, the Army newspaper.

1945   _Atlantic Mo._ CLXXVI [month unknown] 71: The sergeant folded the
Stars and Stripes. "Did you read this about 'the heroes of Bastogne'?" he
asked, accenting the phrase. "Somebody says we said, 'They got us
surrounded — the poor bastards.' "

"Did you say that?" asked the officer.

"No."

"Neither did I," he said. "Especially not when they bombed."

JL