[Ads-l] WOTY? "berm"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Sun May 1 16:39:00 UTC 2016

On  Sat, 30 Apr 2016 21:43:48 Zone+0000 Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

<quote>
Said and seen during an ABC-affiliate news broadcast, although I don't
see it in "print" (online):  To reach the venue for his Friday address
in California (to a Republican Party meeting?), Trump had to detour due
to a demonstration and climb up a "berm", as the announcer called it.
<end quote>

When I was in Basic Training at Fort Knox (summer of 1969), the dirt wall on each side of a rifle range was called a "berm" (and I seem to recall someone making a pun about "Berm-a Road").  I can't recall having heard the word "berm" since then.

Trump is 69.  It's a little hard imagining someone that age scaling a concrete wall, but climbing over a dirt mound should not have been a problem,so I don't see anything remark-able about that news broadcast.  It is quite easy to to throw insults at Adolph Trump without trying to work in his fantastic border wall.

- Jim Landau