[Ads-l] Battle of the Bulge Quote

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Mon May 2 14:02:23 UTC 2016

Here is the quote from Ferdinand Foch that I was thinking of, from the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Foch

<quote>
During the advance at the marshes at St.-Gond [Foch] is said to have declared: "My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking."[10] These words were seen as a symbol both of Foch's leadership and of French determination to resist the invader at any cost, although there is little evidence that the signal was sent.[11]
<end quote>

Footnote [10] reads: ^ Raymond Recouly, Foch: Le Vainqueur de la Guerre [Foch: The victor of the war] (Paris, France: Hachette, 1919), page 121 : "Mon centre céde, ma droite recule, situation excellente, j'attaque." (My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking.)