[Ads-l] new portmanteau

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue May 3 19:45:26 UTC 2016

Entertainment Weekly (on-line) http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/25/game-thrones-melisandre-premiere

on Game of Thrones (TV season 6 episode 2) Melisandre the "Red Woman" or "Red Priestess" is revealed to be several hundred years old.

     "To create an ancient version of The Red Woman, the Thrones team took a cue from making last season’s Walk of Shame sequence, where special effects were used to combine a nude body double with actress Lena Headey. In this case, van Houten wore prosthetic makeup for her face and hair, while her body was performed by an older woman.
<anip>
     [Director} Podeswa did find our observation from our recap of “The Red Woman” intriguing – that having Melisandre crawl into bed was so effective because it married a magical reveal with a relatable and mundane activity.
     “That’s an interesting way of looking at it,” the director replies, “but there’s another aspect as well: At that moment, it’s a telling gestural thing to do. She’s questioning her power and ability to prosthelytize."

Prosthelytize?  She is a proselytizing priestess, and she had to use prosthetics for the scene.

   - Jim Landau (who did not watch the episode on TV)