[Ads-l] Playerspeak: "in the zone"

Sat May 7 09:47:13 UTC 2016

Thanks for your comments, Wilson. The March 1976 citation below
presents the "Twilight Zone" explanation/rationale for "in the zone".
In addition, this citation antedates the information listed in the OED
Draft Addition kindly shared by Jesse.

[ref] 1976 March 29, The Port Arthur News, Connors, Goolagong prevail
(UPI News Service), Quote Page 9, Column 3, Port Arthur, Texas.
(Newspapers_com)[/ref]

Spelling Note: The newspaper image displayed the spelling
"tempermental" instead of "temperamental".

[Begin excerpt]
Goolagong - calm, cool and collected and playing perhaps the best
tennis of her life — glided through the week-long $75,000 Virginia
Slims of Boston without dropping a set, breezing to a 6-2, 6-0 final
victory Sunday over the tempermental Wade. On the tour, they call that
kind of performance playing "in the zone," after the long-running,
science fiction TV series, "Twilight Zone."
[End excerpt]

Garson