[Ads-l] New to me: "go pear-shaped"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue May 10 03:10:44 UTC 2016

--

My idle etymological speculation:

"go belly-up" ---> "go tits-up" (because certain speakers generally
preferred the word 'tits')

---> "go pear-shaped tits up" (somewhat arbitrary elaboration for fun or
emphasis ["pear-shaped" an old conventional adjective, I think, before
"breasts" etc.])

---> "go pear-shaped" (abbreviated, maybe euphemistic, fun [maybe
etymologically opaque to some 'outsiders'], conceivably from a
reanalysis with a comma after "pear-shaped")

[My presumed elaborated form "go pear-shaped tits up" I find on the Web
only once, and late (2015).]

I don't know whether my speculation duplicates someone else's earlier
suggestion.

-- Doug Wilson