[Ads-l] choke/strangle a chicken (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed May 11 18:33:13 UTC 2016

HDAS has 1976.

I found this in Joyce's Ulysses, but it would appear to be literal reference to poaching poultry:

"then he was for the ocean sea or to hoof it on the roads with the Romany folk, kidnapping a squire's heir by favour or moonlight or fecking maid's linen or choking chickens behind a hedge." (14:560-63)

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mullins, Bill CIV (US)
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:56 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] choke/strangle a chicken (UNCLASSIFIED)

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Comedian Dom Irrera uses the phrase "choke the chicken" to mean urination in this ca. 1987/1988 video (I always understood it to mean masturbation).

https://youtu.be/vAJIDBtb8Wk?t=73

Any ideas as to how old this expression is?  The reason I ask is that Hitchcock's film Rope has a character say "I never strangled a chicken in my life!"
(see 1:30 here:  https://vimeo.com/76087987 ), and I wonder if Hitchcock was winking at the audience with this line.

Or maybe I just have a dirty mind.
CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED