[Ads-l] t(h)run

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 14 13:11:31 UTC 2016

For _threw_.

This makes a brief appearance in DARE, s.v. _throw_, but I can't find any
exx. in the online ed.  Not in OED.

The 1930 semi-classic film _The Bat Whispers_ features a bumbling
small-town detective (Charles Dow Clark). Clark, acc. to IMDb, was born in
Vermont in 1869.  When somebody drops a vase on his head, he asks, clearly,
"Who thrun that?"

I don't think I've encountered _thrun_ before.

Perhaps the _locus classicus_ of "trun" is in a song called "The Portland
County Jail" that Carl Sandburg included in his _American Songbag_ (1927):

"Saturday night when I got tight, he trun me in the can."

JL