[Ads-l] nouning of adjectives again

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 17 14:03:09 UTC 2016

That would seem to fit OED3's sense 28e for "do": "With adjective as
notional object: to (be able to) exhibit the behaviour described. Freq. in
negative constructions." Earliest cite given is from 1991 on Usenet: "I
don't do polite." But it resembles an earlier use of "do" listed in OED3
(sense 18b) with cites from Dickens and other 19th-century writers: "do the
[adjective]" (e.g., "amiable," "civil," "grand," "lazy," "polite"),
elliptical for "do the [adjective] thing." So perhaps Teddy could have
"done the dutiful," though that would've been a bit anachronistic in the
other direction.